The letter of the ODVV and 8 other NGOs to the...
The ODVV and 8 other NGOs from various countries such as Germany, Cuba, Malaysia, Venezuela, Lebanon, Iraq, and Iran in separate letters addressed to the UN Special Rapporteur on Occupied Territories, the Office of the UN Special Advisor in the Prevention of genocide, and UN special advisor to the responsibility protection, called for their serious action for the prevention of Genocide and crimes against humanity in Gaza.
According to ODVV public relations, the text of the letter is as follows:
We note the joint statement issued by the UN Experts on Dec. 8th, calling on the international community to push for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza, through the UN General Assembly and the UN Security Council. We also welcome the UN Secretary General's decision to invoke Article 99, to prevent more catastrophe from unfolding in Gaza. At the same time, we are highly alarmed by the United States' decision to Veto the UN Security Council resolution which aimed at the establishment of a ceasefire in Gaza, and the prevention of the continuation of genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity unfolding in Gaza. We believe that stopping the international community from meeting its responsibility to prevent Genocide from taking place in Gaza can be considered complicity in the crime of Genocide.
We are alarmed by:
• The unprecedented atrocities committed by Israel in Gaza, within the past week. We are alarmed by the accelerating death rate amounting to 2000 in 7 days, making the total civilian death toll to surpass 17000, since Oct, 7th, with children and women comprising 70 percent of the innocent lost lives. This is while the number of injured civilians is above 42000.
• The deliberate targeting of places which were previously announced to be "safe", which appears to prove the intention of the occupying power to eradicate civilian life in the enclave. While Israel forced the majority of the Gaza population to flee to the south and deprived them from access to all humanitarian items, now the bombardments are increasingly targeting the South. The escalation of attacks on UNRWA-run schools which are sheltering displaced persons of North Gaza is considered an international crime.
• Multitude of statements made by Israel officials proving their intention to commit genocide against the Palestinian population.
• The 75-year policies of Israel which has cleansed Palestinians from their land, replacing the territory with Israeli settlements.
• The reality that Israel actions fit the definition of the crime of genocide defined in the Genocide convention and the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court:
Israel has been (a)“Killing members of the group,” (b)“Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group,” and (c)“Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part.”
Echoing the calls made by the UN SG and the UN Experts, we call for an immediate and permanent ceasefire in Gaza.
Emphasizing the voice of the UN Experts, we consider the forced displacement of 85 percent of Gaza population to the Southern area as "crimes against humanity".
We condemn Israel 's inhuman, illegal, indiscriminate, disproportionate and deliberate attacks against hospitals, schools, refugee camps, residential buildings, markets and religious centers, where displaced civilians reside.
We condemn the collective punishment of the besieged Gaza, through prevention of the delivery of humanitarian aid, including food, medicine, water and fuel.
We condemn all crimes which have been perpetrated by Israel apartheid in the Occupied Territories for the past 75 years, forming the root causes of the current atrocities and highly regret the failure of international law to protect the continuation of Israel international crimes within the past decades. We believe that the deadlock that the international community is facing in preventing Israel's international crimes in Gaza, proves the ineffectiveness of the international institutions which are supposed to prevent large-scale bloodshed from taking place in the world.
We call on Your Excellency to lobby with the UN Member States to:
• Hold a Human Rights Council Special Session to discuss the ways of stopping the mass killings in Gaza.
• Encourage Israel economic counterparts including the EU states to commit to their "Responsibility to Protect" and push for a ceasefire in the region in order to prevent the continuation of the current crimes of genocide, war crimes and the crimes against humanity unfolding in Gaza.
1. Bahjat Al-Fuad Rehabilitation of Medical and Psychological Center for Torture Victims (Iraq)
2. FUNDALATIN (Venezuela)
3. Helping Hands Foundation (Lebanon)
4. Insan für Menschenrechte und Frieden (Germany)
5. International Movement for a Just World (Malaysia)
6. Khiam Rehabilitation Center for Victims of Torture (Lebanon)
7. Organization for Defending Victims of Violence (Iran)
8. United Nations Association of Cuba
9. United Nations Association of Iran
 Genocide Convection: